Sunday, December 26, 2010

A few things I learned in The South



For the most part, my southern vacation/visit was not all that unlike any of the other vacation/visits that I have had around the US. The scenery was different, but that happens wherever you travel to, it reminded me of Wisconsin at first, with a touch of Florida. Both places I have spent a considerable amount of time visiting. The grocery stores all had different names, but that is also to be expected.

What I wan't prepared for and didn't even think about until after the fact is that The South has it's own culture, and I don't care what you say, it is indeed different. I have spent time with southern people, have, in fact, had holidays with southern folk, and have heard repeatedly that The South is just a different place. But until I told a southern cook that I thought her green beans were done I didn't have a clue. How was I to know that (as Ryan's grandma quickly informed me) "Southern women cook their veggies to DEATH!" Haha. At least they were patient with me.

The next thing, which I had previously thought to be an over exageration, is the bitterness that southerners feel towards Yankees. I heard all sorts of fun, Yankee banter. One person I visited even used it as a reason that they didn't travel. And described the difference between Yankees and Southern folk as the same as the difference between city and country folk.

What I came to realize is that in The South, there are southern people, most other places have more of a hodgepodge of other cultural influence. Not that this is bad, more that when someone wades on in and settles in The South, they soak up the pride and tradition of the southern folk around them. They become more southern. Now, my week there didn't make me a expert, but this is my experience, and I am happy to say that I am very much looking forward to my next visit ..and that I could get used to being addresses as Miss. Sarah all the time.

No comments: