Thursday, February 24, 2011

Workin' hard for my money..

I have blogged about how much I love my job before, and that's exactly how I am feeling for this post. I gambled at school, I feel, going to multiple universities with lots of breaks in between. I lived all over the country, hopping from one interesting place to another, always doing something artsy ..something creative. My degree, which started in Graphic Design, skipped through all of the major Fine Arts and finally materialized whithin Apparel Design and Production. For a long, scary time (think most of the recession) I was worried that I wouldn't be able to work within my field, and I wasn't, not in NY, and not at that time. Working within the industry had become something I couldn't perceive as being within my reach anymore. That's when I gave up ..I was living in New York City at the time, and decided that moving home to be near my family was much better for me than pursuing a job that wasn't happening 2,000+ miles away. I saw it as giving up working in my field. But ha!, something was looking out for me and after settling in to the Salt Lake Valley, I landed the job that I have now, pattern drafting for a company out of Pleasant Grove that specializes in children't costumes. I'm good here, I like it, and it makes me happy. I feel that my school gamble was a great one ...and that my moving home gamble was even better!

Today I have been creating the patterns for a new line we are selling and training a part-time sewer how to run our 6 machines. It's a good day, and this is what my workstation looks like:

No comments: